Monday, May 2, 2011

Last night in the Asylumn

That was fun. 50 miles on 4 freeways in LA without being able to see out of the back right and right side windows. The bikes in the car alongside everything else. Next time I get a van.
Staying in the Travel Lodge in Pasadena close to the auto detail shop. I didn't get into late and was quite hungry which meant I was able to finally use (and remembered) a line I have been wanting to use for awhile and that was to the 2 Chinese guys on the front desk. "I'm so hungry I could eat the arse out of a dead wombat! where's open at this hour?" They didn't really get it even after looking at each other so I just made the eating food gesture and got a reply. I am pretty sure the pommies in the lobby understood me though.

In San Diego I was able to go to the USS Midway museum right in the harbour off the CBD. I was there in line at 10am as it opened and was glad. Just after I did the "Island" guided tour there was quite a line up to get on the boat and to do the tour. The deck photos are either from the bridge or the Carriers Air Traffic control ...thing.
2 Phoenix and a Sparrow on an F14




USS Midway

I finally got to see and touch my Phoenix missiles :)
The Midway is only about 50 to 100 feet short of a Nimitz class carrier but much larger than the Hornet. The main hanger was huge. We were also allowed down to the engine room to see the turbines, shaft and reduction gearbox. Great. One happy camera clicking tourist.

1 comment:

  1. Better get the sandals steam cleaned too Cameron. They've gotta be pretty smelly by now.

    ReplyDelete