Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Cougar on the loose in the American Mid West!

quite a saga but just drove from Greene, Iowa to Burlington Iowa :)

I got to Greene at 9am, had a look at the car, jumped in an 83 Cadillac Eldorado and went to the Butler County Treasury office in Allison - 10 mile away with Mike. The lady's there assisted ably to get a 30 day Transit permit for the Vehicle, passed the title into my name with the transit registration forms. All good so far.

Then I went to the Insurance agent in Greene and probably 3 hours later I had 6 months Insurance for the vehicle the details of which I don't understand but $489 later I am street legal. Thanks to Bruce.

Back to Coyote Classics a couple of spins around the block with Mike to get used to the left hand steering and road rules and I thought I was away but the power steering dumped its fluid out. Up upon the hoist and the problem was identified so we pulled the pulley off the power steering and this time I was off! I need a new power steering control valve which should be in the 3-400$ range which is easy. The car is lighter to steer than the VH Wagon and with my massive shoulders and arms... it's not a problem.
Mike and Chad from Coyote really helped out as did Bruce from the Insurance Agency in Greene and Loiuse at the County Treasury. Thanks a lot.

So I am basically one day behind where I wanted to be before the missed flight but realistically, given how much time it took to get street legal, I am not that far off schedule. I doubt I would have been able to leave Greene yesterday anyway.

Hilariously I have already been pulled over by an Iowa State Trooper. I still haven't worked out the headlights but had them on through Cedar City. He saw me across a set of lights and said they were flashing, was I in distress or my vehicle faulty? and can I see your license and papers? After producing what I am calling my portfolio of bureaucracy he asked a few more questions then I got out to see what was going on. His tone had already changed to being helpful and I explained I would check the lights, was 25miles away from Burlington and would make sure I didn't have a short or fault. He was cool with that and wished me well. I hope all my encounters are as pleasant. I think it may have been because the hazard switch "may" have been on - there's no real printing to say whats what. I have the original manual that came with the car and goes in the glove box! It's a little moldy but hopefully will have the necessary info.

Burlington looks really nice. I was hoping to get here earlier but arrived just before sunset so didn't really get to see it. I can't believe how flat + rich the land has been so far yet there appears to be a headland or knob with some great old buildings on the West Side of the Mississippi. I really want to check the river out and given the potential headlight problem thought it wise to pull over.

Time to get a shower and food - it's been a long day.

3 comments:

  1. Dude, you are officially a legend for pulling that off! Must be good to get your new wheels.

    Awesome effort, when you are ready, put some pics up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. forgot to mention, keep up the spinach popeye!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fill that shipping container up with plenty of spare parts!

    ReplyDelete