Monday, April 18, 2011

Sunny Arizona

Arrived last night in Tuscon and stayed at a cheap motel in town. The drive yesterday was a bit of a nightmare. I went to Meteor Crater but it was a real let down. I have wanted to go there for years but I expected to park at the base and walk to the rim and maybe trek down into it. The car park is just below the rim, 15 bucks and 2 flights of stairs later your at the rim but you can only walk about 50 meters around it. There's a Subway and movie theater but I stayed about 15 minutes. After that I went through a series of wrong turns - 1 cost me a 2hr back track, there was a fatal accident in road works north of Lake Tonto that took 1.5 hrs so I was quite late getting into town. I put the car into get new plugs, a tune up and bushes on the front steering and got a lift out to the Pima Air and Space Museum where I am waiting to go on a bus tour of the Aircraft Grave yard. Can't wait except I forgot the camera :(

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fixed up the spelling.
WOW! that was the best Aircraft Museum I have ever seen. I was there 6 hours and didn't see everything. I got kicked out before I got to see the hanger with the fully restored B-29 Bomber (I was on the phone outside the hanger... Thanks Steve :) nah kidding. The bus tour was great but the displays of weird and wonderful craft parked outside in the museum itself where amazing. Beautiful 31 degrees of sunny Arizona weather and 6% humidity made me a fan for ever.



F111's. we used have them...




  Walked back to the motel the 5 or so miles and was happy to do so. Almost 2 weeks driving 10-14 hours a day have made me a different shaped human. Needed to stretch the shanks so to speak :)
I had a great dinner at a placed I walked past which was so much more appealing than the usual fast food fair around the hotel. Hopefully I get the car back tomorrow and can be on my way again.

3 comments:

  1. Aahh, yeah, sorry about the B29 hanger Cam ;)

    That Mig 29. nice, that wasn't there bck when I visited in 05.

    Hope the cougar is back on the road tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Green Eyed Mrs B :-)19/4/11 03:10

    Told you Arizona was pretty cool :-) Such a beautiful place - love seeing all the mountains around and the weather is just amazing hey?? :-) Love the Super Guppy :-) That was my favourite plane to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I reckon if you cut the wings off, you could fit an F-16 in the shipping container. Seems a waste them all just sitting out there in the sun.

    ReplyDelete